The final award given annually by the Baseball Bloggers Alliance, the Stan Musial Award, is given every year to the premier player in each league.
The American League award was once again highly debated between the league’s two premier players.
Mike Trout – Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
The Angels’ outfielder would garner his second-consecutive Musial Award by holding off the Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera once again in 2013. His .323 batting average, 27 home runs, 97 runs batted in, and league leading 109 runs and 110 walks were enough to convince the Alliance that he deserved the award once again.
Trout earned 65% of the Alliance vote while Cabrera would take the other 35%, marking the second straight year that the two players would receive the only votes.
Andrew McCutchen – Pittsburgh Pirates
The Pirates phenomenal season comes to fruition for one of the team’s most consistent stars. McCutchen was the team’s leader on and off the field and the Alliance recognized his importance to the great run the Pirates produced. He would hit .317 with 21 home runs, 84 runs batted in, 97 runs, 38 doubles and 27 stolen bases for the Bucs.
Cutch received 69% of the BBA vote to earn his first Musial award.
Previous Stan Musial Award Winners
2012: Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
2011: Jose Bautista, Toronto; Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
2010: Josh Hamilton, Texas; Joey Votto, Cincinnati
2009: Joe Mauer, Minnesota; Albert Pujols, St. Louis
The Baseball Bloggers Alliance was formed in the fall of 2009 to encourage cooperation and collaboration between baseball bloggers of all major league teams as well as those that follow baseball more generally.